So, Yakezie. I hear it all the time, or rather, I see it.
What’s Yakezie? According to Yakezie.com, “The Yakezie is the web’s largest personal finance and lifestyle blog network.” To me, that translates into a clique I want to be a part of! They have 80 members (some of whom comment here, and every time that happens, I tend to feel like a very big deal so thanks you guys!)
So, I thought, this might be a good way for me to try to get a highly ranked blog.
I went to Yakezie, and then installed that little badge you see on the right side, and then I read the rules:
- Install the Alexa toolbar, and tell everyone your Alexa rank. Here goes: I hate the Alexa toolbar, just to put that out there, there was nothing wrong with the regular Google search that was the default in Firefox — it frustrates me that it takes much longer to get Google images than it used to. Current Alexa rank: 2,075,007.
- Write consistently (2-4 times a week) for six months. I am getting there. I have the consistency down, but I started frugalportland in November of 2011, and have been consistent since December 2011.
- Install the Yakezie badge with pride. Installed! Proud!
- Announce on your blog that you’ve joined the Yakezie challenge. I have joined!
- Selflessly promote others. I’m a bit confused by this, but it does make sense now that other members often have lists of links. Those strike me as annoying, so I’ll have to figure out a way to do this in a way that works for me.
Those are the only rules. HOWEVER, the kicker is after the rules section. It says, “Your goal is to break 200,000 in Alexa after 6 months.” Did you see how I have 1.8 million to go?
Here’s what I can tell about the Alexa rank system:
- scoring goes like golf, so lower is better (too bad, because if the big numbers are the winners, I am so winning!)
- I think it’s a little like Fight Club, except that the more money you give to the Alexa rank system, the higher your Alexa rank. I might be very wrong, but I don’t really want to pay $200 to find out!
Can I do this? Maybe not. But there’s no harm in trying, right?
For those of you who have done this, and succeeded, am I an idiot for even thinking it’s possible to increase my rank?
Do you have any advice? If I get enough advice I’ll post that separately. I’m not sure what to do!